Lost Landing Paper Immigration Identification Card


Fast, Easy with Support

Prior to the issuance of the IMM 1000 Record of Landing, Canadian officials issued different versions of landing papers for new permanent residents of Canada. These documents are known as “landing papers,” one such document was the “Immigration Identification Card” issued in the 1950s. Depending on when you landed in Canada, one record may have been issued for your whole family, or may have been inserted into your mother’s passport.

How to Replace Your Old Landing Paper or Immigration Identification Card

Replacing your old landing paper or Immigration Identification Card is the same process as replacing a newer Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence: you need to complete the application for a Verification of Status (VOS) and IRCC (formerly CIC) will issue an electronic or physical VOS proving your landing date in Canada.

Because you immigrated to Canada a long time ago, when records were kept different, you may have to provide additional documentation to prove you landed in Canada. The regular documentation required for a VOS is for you personally. However, if you landed as a child, you’ll need to provide information about one or both of your parents (usually your mother), including old DOBs, your mother’s maiden name, old passports, and the like.

As part of this process, it may be necessary to perform a Search of Citizenship Records before applying for your VOS or Citizenship Certificate.

Have a question?