How Can I Replace My IMM 1000

example of record of landing document


Fast, Easy with Support

You can replace your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) by submitting a completed Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document (IMM 5009) to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), with the required supporting documentation.

Note: Click here to download the application (to oepn the PDF document you must download first and open with Adobe reader). 

This application form can only be used to replace the following documents:imm5009e

In order to replace one of these documents, you need to complete the application form and submit the appropriate documentation. New work, study and temporary resident permits will be issued. However, all other documents will be replaced with a Verification of Status, which confirms your immigration status and replaces your missing document.

Completing the IMM 5009 Verification of Status Application

Here are details on how to complete a VOS application:

Completing Part A of form IMM 5009 – Personal Details

Complete the following:

  1. Client ID number/UCI: If you know your 8-digit UCI, enter it here, you will have used it for your PR Card applications; if you do not know it, IRCC should have enough information from the other information you provide to figure out who you are.
  2. Surname (Family name) on entry: Your last name at the time of landing.
  3. Given name(s) on entry: Your first and middle name(s) at the time of landing; if you have a nickname that is not a legal name, this is not part of your given names.
  4. Current surname (if different from name on entry): This is normally for women who have changed their names because of marriage but if your name has changed for any reason since you became a permanent resident, you will have to include it here.
  5. Current given name (if different from name on entry): If, as part of your name change, you also changed your first or middle name(s), enter it here.
  6. Sex: Your gender at the time of landing.
  7. Date of Birth: Enter the year, month and day of your birth, in that order, in the following format, YYY-MM-DD.
  8. Place of Birth: The city, town or village you were born in.
  9. Citizenship: Your citizenship at the time of landing – if you have since become Canadian, do not list “Canadian” here.
  10. Passport number/Tavel Document: You have the choice to include your passport number at landing or your current passport number – it’s better to use your passport at the time of landing but if you do not have that passport any more, you can use your current passport. A passport is required to get a VOS.
  11. Date of Issue: The date of issue of the passport you are using for this form, either your passport at the time of landing or your current passport.
  12. Expiry date: The date of expiry of the passport you are using for this form, either your passport at the time of landing or your current passport.
  13. Martial status on entry: Select one of the following options
    • Never married – if you had not ever married when you landed in the country
    • Married – if you were married at the time of landing in the country
      • If you are married, is your spouse a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? – this question is asked to indicate whether or not you were sponsored by your spouse
    • Widowed – if you were married but your spouse had died before you landed
    • Separated – if you were married but you and your spouse had separated, but not legally divorced, at the time of your landing
    • Divorced – if you were married but you and your spouse had legally divorced before you came to Canada
    • Common-law-partner – if you and your spouse had been living together in a common-law relationship at the time of landing.
  14. Language of correspondence: English unless you would prefer French (and, in that case, you should use the French version of the form, available here)
  15. Current mailing address: This is important as it is where your VOS will be sent if you do not provide an email address
    • P.O. box – if you live in an area that does not get individual mail delivery, you should provide your PO Box number
    • Apt./Unit – the number (i.e. ‘123’) or name (i.e. ‘basement’) of the unit you live in, if you live in an apartment instead of a house
    • Street no. – the number of the street you live on
    • Street name – the name of your street
    • City/Town – the name of the municipality you live in
    • Country – Canada or the United States
    • Province/State – the province, territory or US state this mailing address is located in
    • Postal Code – in Canada, the alpha-numeric postal code (i.e. A1B 2C3); in the US, your 5 digit zip code
    • District – if you live in a country other than the US or Canada, you may have a district in addition to the above information.
  16. Residential address – Same as Mailing Address?: If your mailing address is the same as your resident, say “Yes.” If your mailing address is different (for example, you’re mailing address is your work address), you will have to include your residential address in this area, in the same format as your mailing address.
  17. Telephone no.:
    • Canada/US or Other – this is important as, if IRCC calls you, they need to know what number to dial
    • Type (Residence, Cellular or Business) – most people will include their cell/mobile as their first phone, so that if IRCC does indeed attempt to call them, they’ll be able to answer
    • Country Code – this is “1” if you picked Canada/US above; otherwise you will have to look it up online
    • No. – your full phone number including any area code but not including a country code, in Canada and the US this number is ten digits long
    • Ext. – usually only applicable for business numbers
  18. Alternate Telephone no.: If you have provided a cell as your main number, this will usually be either your business or residential phone
  19. E-mail address: As noted on the form, if you indicate an email address, all correspondence will be sent to the email address, and you should not receive any mail or phone correspondence. If you include an email address, your VOS will be emailed to you, not mailed.

Completing Part B – Documents Requested

This section relates to your supporting documentation. More details about the acceptable supporting documentation can be found below.

  1. What type of request are you making?: You want to select “Verification of Status” as the other option is for people replacing lost visitor visas, study permits or work permits.
  2. Immigration document date of issue: This is the exact date you “landed” in Canada as a permanent resident (not the first date you came to Canada, if you came as a temporary resident earlier) in the YYY-MM-DD format.
  3. Canadian Port of Entry – Place of issue: Where you first landed in the country, for example “Pearson Airport”; try to specify the particular airport or border crossing, rather than just the city or port.
  4. Indicate which of the following you need a replacement copy or a Verification of Status: You want to select the first option, “Immigrant Visa and Record of Landing – Confirmation of Permanent Residence.” The other options are for replacing temporary residence documents and do not relate to replacing an IMM 1000 or COPR.
  5. Was your original immigration document…: Pick the option that suits your situation
    • Lost – if you have lost your original document or a replacement VOS
    • Stolen – if your IMM 1000 or COPR was stolen, or if your replacement VOS was stolen
    • Destroyed – you would select this if, for example, your original document or VOS had been shredded or burned
    • Other – if the three previous options don’t fit what happened, select this option
    • Provide details – regardless for the reasons why you are requesting the VOS, you need to complete this section. You can see an example of what to say here.
  6. If you are requesting a Verification of Status of an Immigrant Visa and Record of Landing/Confirmation of Permanent Residence have you applied for it before?: If you are replacing a VOS or if you previously applied to replace or amend your Record of Landing or COPR but the application was rejected, indicate “Yes” and provide the exact date – in YYYY-MM-DD format – the application would have been received by IRCC. If you do not know the exact date they would have received it, list the date you mailed the application. If you are not sure of that date, list only the year and month.
  7. If you are applying for a Verification of Status of an Immigrant Visa and you are not a Canadian Citizen, have you, since your admission as a permanent resident, been convicted of a crime or offence in Canada or elsewhere?: This is an important question as certain convictions for certain crimes can lead to the loss of your status in Canada. You must answer this question honestly, as lying on a form you submit to IRCC can also lead to the loss of your immigration status. If you have been convicted of an offence, and are not yet a citizen, include all relevant documentation no matter how minor the offence. It is better to be honest than risk losing your status.
  8. Are you a Canadian citizen?: Yes or no. If you have somehow lost your Canadian citizenship in the interim, because you have renounced or because you naturalized in another country that requires you to renounce all other citizenships.
  9. List all names you have ever used: List all names you have ever used, including the names you listed at the top of the form. If you use a nickname in Canada (or anywhere else), now is the time to include it. When listing additional names in the third column, indicate what they are in brackets.
  10. Did you enter Canada as a…: Choose “Permanent Resident” as this question refers your date of landing, related to the document you are replacing.

Completing Part C – If You Entered Canada as a Permanent Resident Prior to 1973, Complete the Following Section

This section is not for most people so most people can leave it entirely blank of, if you prefer, type N/A in each field or draw a line through it if you are filling out the hard copy.

Prior to 1973, entries to the country were recorded in a different way and so replacing landing papers issued prior to 1973 is more difficult. That’s why this section is necessary if you landed before 1973.

  1. Provide the full names and dates of birth of the person(s) who accompanied you on arrival in Canada: For example, if you landed with your parents and a sibling, you would list their names (maiden and married if they have married since). This information is used to help identify your landing record.
  2. Were either of your parents born Canadian citizens?: Yes or no. This question helps verify your identity and your legal status.
  3. What are the names and dates of your birth of your parents?: This information helps identify children who were brought to Canada “on” the passport of a parent, a common practice before 1973.
  4. What is/was the occupation of each of your parents?: Again, this question helps identify children who landed  with their parents before children’s passports were standard.
  5. Had you or your parents ever been part of any military at the time you entered Canada?: Yes or no.

Signing the Declaration in the IMM 5009

This is a mandatory section. If you do not sign and date the form, your application will be rejected.

See a sample completed application

Supporting Documentation to Replace Your Landing Paper

You need to provide the following documentation to replace your IMM 1000:

  • Copy of your Passport at the time of landing (copies of the identity page and the the page with the landing stamp on it) – if you do not have this passport any more, you can use your current passport, but this could slow down your application
  • One government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or provincial photo ID card)
  • Copy of your Canadian Citizenship Certificate (if applicable)
  • Copies of your birth certificate (or baptismal certificate), marriage certificate, identity card, driver’s license and any other government-issued IDs
  • Translations of the above documents if any of them are in a language other than English or French.

Fees for Replacing Your IMM 1000/COPR

After you have completed the application and gathered your documents, you must pay the application fee. You can pay online with Visa, MasterCard or American Express. The option to pay at your local bank or credit union has been retired.

Mailing your Application

Once you have paid the fees, you can submit the application by mail to

Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document
Operations Support Centre (OSC)
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

Tip: Need help, need to get this document fast. Click here and get Immigroup to help you.

IMM 1000/COPR Replacement Processing Time

A Verification of Status Application takes 6 months to process unless you request urgent processing. Urgent processing may be granted for various reasons. To see the complete list, click here.

You will have to prove your need for urgent processing and will need to write “Urgent” on your envelope.

After You’ve Received Your Verification of Status (VOS)

Once you have your VOS, you can use it prove your status in Canada. For details on how, see this page.


How do I get a Copy of my IMM 1000?

You have to submit form IMM 5009: Verification of Status or Replacement of Immigration Documents as we explain above. A Verficiation of Status document is not a copy of your IMM 1000 but instead gives the same information that was originally recorded.

What should I do if I Lost my Landing Paper?

Again you have to apply for a Verification of Status (VOS) as explained above. In section B, question 5, make sure you indicate what happened to your document. The options given in Question 5 are: Lost, Stolen, Destroyed, or Other. In this case, check Lost.

How can I get a Copy of my Confirmation of Permanent Residence?

As explained above, you apply for a Verification of Status. Remember that this is not a copy of your original COPR but rather a plain document that gives the same information recorded on your COPR.

Can I use my IMM 1000 for Ontario Works & ODSP?

While a Record of Landing or COPR is not considered an identity document, it is accepted in certain circumstances when you need to prove your identity. For example, in Ontario you can use it to prove your legal name, date of birth, and signature. If it has been amended then you also will need IMM 1436. Also in Ontario, the Ontario Works income support and Ontario Disability Support Program (OSDP) may require it to prove when you arrived in the country as a landed immigrant. In New Brunswick, to get a health card you can also use it. Finally, you can also use it as proof of your legal status to obtain your student card (TCard) at University of Toronto and in other universities in the country.

Have a question?