Lost IMM 1000 or COPR


Fast, Easy with Support

Replace a Lost, Missing, or Stolen Landing Paper

If you have lost, damaged, or misplaced your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) or if it has gone missing, you will need to replace it with a Verification of Status immigration document. Because you need your Record of Landing or COPR to claim your Old Age Security in Canada, you’ll have to submit an application for a Verification of Status (VOS) before you apply for Old Age Security (OAS). As well, you can also use your VOS as additional proof of your status in Canada.

You complete the same application (as shown below) whatever the reason for your Record of Landing or COPR being missing. The key difference, however, is when your IMM 1000 or your Confirmation of Permanent Residence has been stolen, you also need to report it to both your local police in Canada and to IRCC.

To do this, first, contact IRCC, at 1-888-242-2100. Make sure you write down as much information as you can remember from your Record of Landing before calling IRCC. For example, the names you used, your date of birth, and your Unique Client Identifier (UCI) are key pieces of information you should provide to the government when reporting the loss. As well, please remember that you should be sure it was stolen rather than being lost before you report it to local police and IRCC. If you’re not sure, then indicate it was lost when you apply.

Additionally, remember that there are 4 types of police in Canada: local, provincial, regional, and the RCMP which are federal (national). Which type of police you report depending on the laws in your province and the municipality where you live. Finally, make sure to copy down the police report number for later reference.


PLEASE NOTE: do not use form IMM 1436 which is only used to amend personal details on your COPR (and/or other immigration documents like work or study permits) that were incorrectly recorded by immigration officials.

In order to replace your Record of Landing or COPR, you will have to complete the IMM 5009 Application for Verification of Status (VOS) form and provide supporting documentation. Please remember that you will need to complete Question 5 of Part B of the application, where you explain what happened to your landing document. You will have to pick one of the following options:

  • Lost
  • Stolen
  • Destroyed (i.e. shredded or burnt)
  • Other

You will need to write about how you lost it in the field (the space) below question 5 in the application form. You should try to include how you think you lost it and try to include the last date you remember having had it.

Example of Statement for Lost Landing Paper Application

Here is an example of what you should write on your application for a Verification of Status document:

The last time I was saw my landing paper was sometime in Spring 2015 and I believe I may have thrown it out by accident while cleaning my house.

See a further example of a statement for a missing landing paper.


What should I do if I lost my Landing Paper?

You have to apply to the government for a Verification of Status (VOS) replacement document.

How do I get a new Landing Paper?

If you have lost your IMM 1000 or COPR, or it has been damaged or destroyed, you have to get a replacement document rather than a new landing paper. Your replacement document is called a Verification of Status (VOS) document.

Do I need my Landing Paper to apply for Citizenship?

You may need to provide a copy of IMM 1000, or you may need information from it, for example your Unique Client Identifier (UCI), in order to fill out your application for citizenship.

Where can I find my Record of Landing?

You should have kept your form IMM 1000 or COPR from when you first landed in Canada as a new permanent resident. However, as the years go by, people sometimes misplace or throw away the document or it gets damaged and is unusable.

Is a COPR a Record of Landing Document?

While they both are a record of key personal information about you when you first landed in Canada as a permanent resident, COPR in fact replaced form IMM 1000 in June 2002. So, strictly speaking, they are not the same.

What other immigration documents does a Verification of Status (VOS) document replace in Canada?

You can apply for a VOS document to provide information from and/or replace any one of the following immigration documents: Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5699; Visitor Record (IMM 1097 or IMM 1442); Work Permit (IMM 1102 or IMM 1442); Study Permit (IMM 1208 or IMM 1442); Exclusion Order (IMM 1215); Deportation Order (IMM 1215); Departure Order (IMM 5238); Permit to Come into or Remain in Canada (IMM 1263); Authorization to Return to Canada (IMM 1203); and a Certificate of Departure (IMM 1256).

Have a question?